Clubcento

Clubcento - The UK Small Fiats Club

Run by Enthusiasts FOR Enthusiasts

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:31 pm 
Clubcento Member

Drives: Cinquecento sporting
I looked back through a few pages but didn't really find answers so I thought I just ask:

• What tyres sizes and makes do people tend to use with 14 x 5.5 wheels on the Cinquecento?

• Are tyres for 14 inch 5.5j wheels cheaper / more available / better brands than for the original 13 x 5.5 wheels?

• Do you lower the Cinquecento further with 14's to get it back down again, or leave a slightly taller ride height? Does the extra height affect cornering significantly?

• I saw that some people fit 175 to the 5.5j wheels. Does that cause more 'squidge' in the steering / turn in response?

• One problem would be accelerate slightly slower with larger wheels and tyres. Have you noticed this?

Are there some cheap 14 x 6j wheels that people fit (to better take the 175 tyre width)? It's not about looks. I don't want ultra flashy bling with chrome spinners that will get stolen. Light weight but strong so they can take a pothole or few.

I'm going to need 4 tyres fairly soon I expect.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:23 pm 
Advanced

Drives: Cinquecento 899 sx
these 14 inch uno wheels any good viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9894
tyres maybe more avaliable as most new small cars run 14inch minimum now not 13inch
they should fit over the bigger brakes being 14inch look standard and should be 5.5j

Freddo The 899 Cinquecento Sx
Crunchie the 1108 Seicento Sporting
Flake the 1108 Seicento Sx soliel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:17 pm 
Chief Engineer

Drives: Panda 100hp
5.5 x 14 were fitted to the Abarths, anything wider than 185 is too wide and looks wrong on them. You can go as far as 195/45r14 on 6" rims.

Most Fiat inc. Punto and 4 stud Alfa wheels will fit amongst others, just check the offset.

There's just over 3% circumference difference between 165/55-13 and 175/50-14, so you won't really notice any effect on the gearing or ride height.

Check out http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

.....make it idiot proof and someone will build a better idiot.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:07 pm 
Advanced

Drives: Cinquecento 899 sx
so itd be ok with the 899 then :shock: hunt hunt .....

Freddo The 899 Cinquecento Sx
Crunchie the 1108 Seicento Sporting
Flake the 1108 Seicento Sx soliel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:20 pm 
Clubcento Member

Thanks Craig and Pete,

I had a long look for tyres the night before last and didn't find much in 175 50 14. I like to use grippy tyres as I often enough find myself doing hard late braking. Then there's the turn in bite, I like quiet good progress, not screeching into corners. Previously I found that I needed not les than a 7 inch wheel for a 195 45 15. 6.5 inch with same tyres caused screeching on braking, turn in and less turn in grip. Of course, all tyres and even wheel rims vary as to how well they synergise in these respects, so I have no knowledge of the Fiat stuff. Possibly the most enjoyable tyres I had were the Yoko AVS, now discontinued; great control, progressive and predictable so I could really attack corners with them.

Based on wall height as a % of width, I calculated 3.7% extra radius (hub to road) from original for the 175 50 14 and 10.5% extra for the 175 60 14. That doesn't allow for tyre squash for the fronts which is sometimes more so for a taller side wall so the 60 might not be all that much taller than the 50, depending on make.

Does that 10.5% make the 0 to 60 go from say 11 seconds to 12.1? The difference between overtaking and not. Maybe six car lengths at 60 mph? So I can forget about 175 60 then! The 3.7% might still be 2 car lengths?

I'm reluctant to lose ANY acceleration from this car. My previous one did 0 to 60 in about 5.5 seconds and I'm rather missing that.

However, I'm also reluctant to spend £300 on 4 new Pirelli P600 13" tyres.

I'm just thinking out loud here really.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:06 pm 
Clubcento Member

Drives: Seicento, Stilo
If it's any interest to you, on my first Cinquecento I ran 185/50 R14s Continental Sport Contacta with 1.8 bar in the front and 1.6 in the rear allowed me to drive around the outside, or inside, of most vehicles quietly. A guy who works at Toyota in Derby with a blue Mx 5 will testify to that!

Currently I'm running 185/55 R14s on my wifes Seicento. Avons are asemetric and £50 a pop as opposed to £90 of the Continentals. As for acceleration, I would say it's better as the power is being transmitted to the floor as opposed to spinning the wheels. I checked the speedo before and after against one of the digital signs that gives you your speed and say thanks or slow down. Currently at 30 on the clock it registers 28 on the signs as opposed to 25 it used to. So if anything the speedo is more accurate!

My advice is check your speedo against a few of these things and see what percentage you've got to play with. I'd say you'd be able to fit the 185/55s on, same as Punto Sportings.

Hope it gives you food for thought!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:37 pm 
Clubcento Chairman

Drives: Cinquecento
I run 195/45/R14s Uniroyal Rainsport tyres on 14x6" - grippy under most conditions both dry and wet comparable to other brands I've used in the past - not stupidly priced, wear well ie not like pirelli putty. I'm on my third set and I love them. Cinquecento's lowered by approx 2.5-3" (give or take some sagging) but it was lowered before the 14s went on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:59 pm 
Clubcento Member

What wheels are you using Emilyeeeeee? What offset?

Last edited by Ian S on Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:03 pm 
Clubcento Chairman

Emilyeeeeee - Alessio Sport 14x6 and as for offset I have had them for soooo long I haven't got a blooming clue!!! Blonde or should that be senile moment - all I can remember is they weren't a lady's front bottom on to fit!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:09 pm 
Clubcento Member

That's interesting, so they just went on and don't rub, even with those wide tyres. Don't the 195's stick out a fair bit more than the wheels? I had 195 45's on 7 inch wheels and that seemed to be about right.

With all that grip, do you ever feel the car might tip right over on a corner? Or don't you push it that hard around them?

Do you have a link to photos of your car with those wheels on? Do you have standard arches, etc?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:20 pm 
Clubcento Chairman

Full lock they have scrubbed inner arch liner very very slightly but nothing too tragic. They don't stick out more than the wheels they look nice - actually I wonder if my wheels are actually 6.5" thinking about it. They are flush with the arches anyway so perfectly legal.

The car doesn't move much on cornering - suspension does its job and upper strutbrace and I don't drive it like a granny - it has lost grip on a couple of occasions but nothing tragic ie regained grip almost instantly - feels like longer at the time though lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:40 pm 
Clubcento Member

127Jules wrote:
If it's any interest to you
It is, thanks :)
127Jules wrote:
at 30 on the clock it registers 28 on the signs as opposed to 25 it used to
So, within a gear, that suggests about 12% slower acceleration? If I had a 1.4 under the bonnet I'd not be so bothered. I don't have any wheel spin. Either my Pirelli P700's are like glue or yours has a fair bit more torque than my engine.

My speedo broke a few years ago but sometimes I use a satnav. I observed what the RPM equates to in speed. I would get the speedo fixed were it not for the cost and difficulty of fitting a new plastic part in the gearbox, or whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:37 pm 
Clubcento Member

Drives: Seicento, Stilo
Yeah that would be about right. To be honest I've not noticed a difference other than I can get the power down better. Still managed to give a C1 a good spanking today! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:15 pm 
Chief Engineer

Drives: Panda 100hp
If there's one thing I've found through the years going from a Cento to something with much more power, don't get hung up on the power or acceleration. No matter if you can do 0-60 in 13 seconds or 3 seconds, you will ALWAYS get used to what you have and want more :lol:

.....make it idiot proof and someone will build a better idiot.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:07 pm 
Clubcento Member

Yeah I know what you mean, my 5GTT could do 60 in about 5 seconds on warm good grip surface and with warmed tyres. Friends with more or less the same engine set-up and acceleration as mine managed 11.9 and 12.1 second passes at the Pod (on MT or M&H slicks so add about ¾ second for road tyres) in fully road legal 5's they drove there and back. Low comp'd versions with large blower and 40psi were doing mid 11's and are now down to 11.0 from the OE 1.4 litre engine but adding 150BHP or so of NOS (so making about 450BHP, which is, of course, not enough!!).

Still, with the Cinquecento, every little helps :) Although it's more marginal and I have to try harder, I can pretty much still over take everyone (who's saving petrol) on the lanes and I don't want big wheels to be costing me a cars length or two as that much comes in handy from time to time.

An other thing I miss from the 5 is I could flat shift at full boost (24psi) through the gears. If I wanted to make a point to who had been holding me up I could deliberately change a tad slower as I'd fitted flat shift electronics which would then pop from the exhaust a bit, maybe even issue some flames. They were good times, oh well, the Cinquecento baulks too badly in second and I seem to recall doesn't like it third.

Anyway, nice reminiscences but back to wheels. The reason I'm thinking of a change is simply as I need to be frugal and considered that cheap 14 x 6 wheels would fit inside loads of lower priced good tyres that are not available for the 13 inch wheel. So I'd consider losing a bit of speed as the compromise. But not too much.

However, I'm not finding cheap wheels so far. Not even sure what wheels to look for, I don't have an off set to aim for or anything really. That another thing I like about the 5 scene. There's masses of info, the website is very busy, there's an abundance of cheap but good spares and tuning parts and the costs are probably lower that for this little Fiat. Apart from insurance this year. And petrol consumption.

I so nearly bought another 5 a few weeks ago for a very good price and with the problems I'm having just trying to get all the required solid data and wheels and tyres for the Fiat I think on balance I think I regret not doing so, but then I have other costs to meet at the moment. I know nearly everything there is to know about the 5 and nearly nothing about the Fiat. I do prefer the Cinquecento for going to the car parks and shopping areas around here and it's ability to turn in small areas and park in small spaces. It's quieter than the 5 and pushing down the clutch pedal doesn't hurt my knee and ankle.