Clubcento - The UK Small Fiats Club

Run by Enthusiasts FOR Enthusiasts

It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:22 pm 
Intermediate

Drives: Fiat Cinquecento 899
Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a dilemma about my Cinquecento. I got him when I was 17, so 3 years ago. I had a few alternator issues that were mostly caused by incompetent mechanics. He's a lovely little car and I love him to bits. Last october I upgraded to a Skoda Citigo as I needed something with a little more poke and space for longer journeys. I still have Luigi, though I don't drive him. My parents agreed to keep him with us and said they would drive him as I am still very attached to him. Sadly, they have not managed to drive him as much as they promised to and he isn't being used much. Luckily it is summer at the moment but I don't want to see him weather away on the driveway. If I could afford it, I would pay to be insured on both (not being 21 I'm sadly not automatically covered on both) and keep him on the road as often as possible as I'd happily still run him.

I don't want to see him getting scrapped because he's rotted on the drive way and I just really don't know what to do now :/

Can anyone offer any advice, or has anyone been in a similar situation?

Thanks in advance.

Adam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:10 pm 
Clubcento President

This is a tough one, if you don't use it , it will deteriorate more quickly but if you do use it then it costs money and really that's the bottom line. If you currently don't have the funds to repair and maintain it then keeping it in dry storage may be an option especially if your family have a garage or outbuilding that could be used for the purpose. However when funds are available it will take more work to put it back on the road, many such "projects" lie undisturbed around the country only to see the light of day just once on their final journey to the scrapyard, with this in mind whilst the car is still running would it be better to sell the car in the hope someone might keep it going?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:43 pm 
Intermediate

That's pretty much what I thought. Surely there would be someone on here that would love him right?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:22 pm 
Clubcento President

Maybe, but most people on here have already got one, put a price on it and see if there is any response otherwise you can put a free advert in Auto Italia magazine, after that its the usual advertising lines. All the best on whatever you decide.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:49 pm 

Drives: 2x Seicento's
You could always try what im doing,
lose that Skoda.... and replace it with a seicento,
I have two, one for the winter and one for the summer, only one is ever taxed :)
that way you also have 6 months to repair the bits that have fallen off over the last 6 months :P

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:25 am 
Advanced

Drives: Cinquecento Trackcar
Madmoo13 wrote:
You could always try what im doing,
lose that Skoda.... and replace it with a seicento,
I have two, one for the winter and one for the summer, only one is ever taxed :)
that way you also have 6 months to repair the bits that have fallen off over the last 6 months :P

Totally agree lose the skoda and get a Seicento, I have my yellow Seicento Abarth phase two and my Cinquecento track car PEX so I have two great italian compacts which are far better than any German car and better on the parts cost.
Ask yourself would you rather see the Cinquecento go or the Skoda?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:18 pm 
Intermediate

Actually, the Cinquecento.

As much as I love it, it isn't the practical anymore. It gets taxed 10 times the amount my Skoda does, uses a bit more fuel and has higher insurance...

Also, there is no point having 2 cars running for myself. Using them 6 months each seems pretty pointless as the one sitting there over the winter will just rot, especially as I don't have any indoor space to store it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:16 pm 
Advanced

Drives: owns*Mario
Not a lot of spirit,character or driving fun in a city go though ;)

Mario the 1108 Cinquecento Sporting
P677YFR the soon to be 1242 16v Cinquecento Sporting

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:37 pm 
Intermediate

hame41 wrote:
Not a lot of spirit,character or driving fun in a city go though ;)

Actually, you are wrong. My citigo is a lot of fun and often turns heads as I have a monte carlo edition in white with black trim. Also, invokes less wee-wee taking than the Cinquecento did, no matter how much I loved my Fiat.