Clubcento - The UK Small Fiats Club

Run by Enthusiasts FOR Enthusiasts

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: strange power loss?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:48 pm 
Advanced

Drives: Cinquecento sporting(POLLY)
It's happened a few times in the last few months. It will be after the car has sat for a bit, sometimes overnight, sometimes just a few hours.

It has happened a lot more frequently today. It was a relatively warm/dry day compared to what it has been like.

The car will start perfectly fine, pull away perfectly fine then for no reason the power will just go. Put the accelerator down and then all of a sudden it goes perfectly fine again. I get no engine warning lights or error codes. The car makes no strange sounds or anything. It's as though the car turns off and then suddenly back on. Everything else in the car works during this time (fan, stereo) but the lights will dim.

After it has done this once or twice it won't miss a beat and mostly doesn't do it at all. It is only after initial start up.

Any ideas on what it could be? I feel I am going to have to wait until it breaks down to find the problem :(

Post subject: Re: strange power loss?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:12 am 
Chief Engineer

Drives: Panda 100hp
Dodgy battery connection or earth strap?

.....make it idiot proof and someone will build a better idiot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:19 am 
Advanced

I have checked all the ground connections I could find. I will double check the battery connections.
Wouldn't I get starting issues and/or issues at other times rather than just a few moments after starting up and driving off if it was battery related?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:19 pm 
Advanced

Drives: owns*Mario
Could possibly be a coil pack breaking down,is it still running when it drops power?

Mario the 1108 Cinquecento Sporting
P677YFR the soon to be 1242 16v Cinquecento Sporting

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:33 am 
Advanced

i assume its still running. its when in gear when moving that it happens. it does feel like the ignition is tuned off and the back on, so its possible.

it had 2 new coilpacks last year. i still have the original ones, so could refit them.

its been ok since i posted this thread so need to wait until it plays up again before i try anything.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:52 pm 
Advanced

right. went away for a bit. now seems to have come back and happens more often.

its still only when i have been using the car then go back to it after about and hour. if its just stopped for a few mins or the car is completely cold it wont be an issue.

it just runs crappy and sounds like its missing slightly. if i floor it or push the clutch down and blip the throttle a few times its often ok. it will then run 100% the until the car has sat for another hour after use.

it will idle for an ever and a day with no issues, its just when i go to drive off and generally only happens in 1st and 2nd gear.

any ideas? im edging towards coilpack still. just havnt had the chance to swap it over as i have been getting my other car ready for the road :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:13 pm 
Advanced

Drives: Seicento Sporting
just an idea:

idle stepper valve sticking or not half closing would mean wrong fuelling after an hour but not after a few minutes. And maybe when cold the extra "turns" means it unsticks or moves past a problem area in the valve.

Blipping the throttle could warm the engine up enough so that the fuelling becomes correct(er) even though the valve is sticking in "full warm position".

I don't know how likely this is, just trying to hypothesise around the symptoms

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:48 pm 
Chief Engineer

Drives: Panda 100hp
Guessing really, but could be a dodgy crank sensor.

Fuel filter changed recently?

.....make it idiot proof and someone will build a better idiot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:46 pm 
Advanced

I have a new crank sensor and fuel filter on the way. Fuel filter is only a year old so doubt it's that, but worth a shot anyway

Will let you all know if it cures it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:00 pm 
Clubcento Member

Drives: Seicento, Stilo
It's always difficult to diagnose faults without experiencing them first hand but here's a couple of things to ponder. First and second gear gives you the greatest torque re-action and therefore any weak connections or pipes may be affected in the lower gears as opposed to higher ones. If you have access to a strobe light, I found the use of one connected while driving just flashing away in the passengers foot well will indicate if the ignition is cutting out under acceleration. If it doesn't then your coils and crank sensor are working and you need to look some where else. My gut feeling is it's not your coil or filter. Coils are hardest worked with temperature and pressure ie full load/ hot engine and consequently is when they start to misbehave (higher gears). Two coils doing the same thing at the same time? Misfiring more likely than loss of power. Yes I know they can be the same thing but they feel and sound very different. Filters issues tend to be a loss of power when driving as the fuel demand increases and is increasingly restricted but then when left to stand are fine until driving again. Check the vacuum pipe to the map sensor, it may have a crack in it that opens up with torque and check wires and cables are secure and intact.

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:53 pm 

Drives: Nothing :(
Gut instinct says it could be leads or plugs. Initial thought was coilpacks but you say you've changed them so that's unlikely, although if they're cheap ones may still be a possibility

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:57 pm 
Advanced

Plugs and leads are only about a year old. I've tried 2 sets of coils, the originals, that were fine, and the new ones.
After it's played up its perfect.

It's currently off the road as it needs a new windscreen and I had to deal with a bit of rust before fitting the new one. I have a new fuel filter to whack on anyway, just in case.

Will report back once I start using the car again.