Clubcento

Clubcento - The UK Small Fiats Club

Run by Enthusiasts FOR Enthusiasts

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:06 am 
Chief Engineer

Drives: Panda 100hp
For spares speak to Big Mick at eurocarcare, brilliant service and prices.

.....make it idiot proof and someone will build a better idiot.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:53 am 
Intermediate

Drives: Cinquecento 1242
Hmm well what's new...

I used this headlamp for my reflector fix 'how-to', it's a bit of a state but going to restore it, needs a lick of paint, the reflector has lost its chrome, but these are getting rare and I'd like a spare, will update when it's done!

Also got some new clips as when I changed the lamp the other day these were totally ruined...

(just hope the putty stuff I used as a temp fix hasn't hardened too much to get off lol)

And talking on new yellow things...woop :)

Shortened gas struts :)

Hope to mock up the golf splitter tomorrow, see how she sits!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:56 pm 
Clubcento Member

Drives: Cinquecento sporting
What shocks would they be? Same as the Apex shortened shocks?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:05 pm 
Intermediate

Hiya, they are TA technix, which I mainly know as a europe based maker of budget coilovers, not sure of the similarities to any other brands but the main thing I wanted was the shorter inserts as my current standard shocks are almost fully compressed all the time. I ran these on my previous Cinquecento and they were a vast improvement, slightly uprated damping but still allowing a range of movement rather than the maxed out, bashy standard ones. (Sorry for essay) 130 quid the set from Germany.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:43 pm 
Advanced

Drives: Cinquecento 899 sx
What golf splitter have you purchased? :D good progress, as for the headlights I've seen someone use alloy adhesive tape as a repair and it works also passes the mot :)

Freddo The 899 Cinquecento Sx
Crunchie the 1108 Seicento Sporting
Flake the 1108 Seicento Sx soliel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:53 pm 
Clubcento Member

Thanks for the reply.

That's a good price. Do you have a link to the on-line shop? I saw them on eBay, etc. My front left Apex has been leaking for the last three years and stops being a damper when it's warm.

I have an excessively bumpy ride as the bump stops are being hit so much of the time with the Apex -40mm springs. Only about 25mm clear at the front, and those were cut down by 40mm, the previous owner told me, and the rears have no clearance as were not cut down. I never bothered to do it.

Did you fit the leads and plugs together? Or was it one or the other that fixed the problem? Are those the plugs with the pointed centre electrode? I seem to recall we used those with the Renault 5 GTT engines and they were good; no sooting, nice response.

I fitted Magnecor red leads already. Car came with Champion Eon plugs. One of the OE leads was corroded I presume causing that plug to soot and the idle to be poor. Or something else caused it but with new leads and a new manifold that's OK now. It may have been the manifold as the old 4 to 1 was bent in with two of the branches.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:01 am 
Intermediate

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=251228436408&alt=web

Hopefully that works...just a pair of fronts, that seller does the set of 4 too.

I fitted the plugs and leads at the same time yes but the leads must be what makes the difference as the old plugs were vgc and the mixture looked good. And yes titanium tip single electrode, non-gappable. It sounds geeky but I spent ages looking at plug types etc before buying, am not sure the ones I went for were specifically fiat, they seem to google as 2.0 volvo s40 jobbies lol!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:08 am 
Clubcento Member

Yes that works, thanks. :)

You might find it's the plugs that're doing it. Those 0.8mm tipped plugs might be altering the timing by igniting the mix a bit sooner so giving some advance.

When I fitted narrow centre electrodes in the Renault it did start easier and was better at low boost. They were all different, the fatter ones wer a bit better at full boost and higher revs. Just tweaking the timing I think.

With some (non-resitve) copper wire leads with 10k Ohm resistors in the caps, I borrowed and tried some of those (non resistive) 3 or 4 earth electrode plugs in the Cinquecento and the high rpm was smooth and nice compared to the roughness of the Champions (with the Magnecor KV85's), but it popped and banged at idle and low revs and wouldn't drive.

I fancied trying the even thinner tipped Denso Iridium but couldn't justify the price for a test that may not have any benefit.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:47 pm 
Advanced

Drives: owns*Mario
Do they sell just the rears too?

Mario the 1108 Cinquecento Sporting
P677YFR the soon to be 1242 16v Cinquecento Sporting

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:58 pm 
Intermediate

Yes! Poo signal at the mo so can't link you but you can search that sellers other items from the link.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:25 am 
Intermediate

Made some more progress over the weekend.

First off I junked that poop bit of chicken wire someone made a grille out of, fed up with slicing my finger every time I want to open the bonnet!

Then I did the splitter...

This is how we mocked it up by chance at the scrapyard where the yellow Cinquecento and the golf were..the corner radius is perfect!

There was a big gap caused by the mounting plugs on the splitter and the small lip on the bottom of the bumper, so the splitter would need to be trimmed...

Something about using a sledgehammer to crack a nut lol..also wrapped my legs in bags cos of melted plastic napalm chunks!!!

Trimmed and untrimmed...

Bonded and screwed (screws can hopefully come back out but need to be there for a bit...they are hidden from view once on the car anyway as it tucks under the bumper rather than jutting out...)

Found a leak in my rad while that was drying...brand new rad is £20 on ebay tho lol...ace!

Annoyingly the finished product is nearly invisible in these pics as it tucks under into the shadow of the car, looks neat in the flesh tho :)

Will try and get some that show it better!

That headlamp is looking better too...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:34 am 
Advanced

Drives: Cinquecento 899 sx
Is that chrome spray paint? Will it not react to the lamp temp?

Freddo The 899 Cinquecento Sx
Crunchie the 1108 Seicento Sporting
Flake the 1108 Seicento Sx soliel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:57 am 
Intermediate

craigdmjv wrote:
Is that chrome spray paint? Will it not react to the lamp temp?

The thought has crossed my mind, its fairly hardy stuff though, we used it on a load of parts on my mates mini, even the rocker cover, still looks alright nearly 2 years on.

Only need the light as a quick spare anyway as the adjuster on the one in the car is bodged to buggery, just wanted to make it good for an MoT or whatever :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:35 pm 
Website co-ordinator

Drives: Cinquecento and Punto
Doing a good job with this, that splitter looks ace 8)

Follow my adventures - http://blog.kevinmace.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:58 pm 
Intermediate

Small update, could be abigger one but once again I failed at taking work in progress pics...

New shorter shocks on, ride much improved, less crashy, turn in is nicer too, and cheeky yellow pokey-out bits at the rear :)

Also Doge happened...

(you'll either get it or not!)

More to come soon, she's still evolving!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next