Clubcento

Clubcento - The UK Small Fiats Club

Run by Enthusiasts FOR Enthusiasts

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:07 pm 
Intermediate

Drives: Cinquecento 1242
After a disastrous run of luck recently I was left car-less, all of my mojo had gone and I was looking at hyundai accents and daihatsu moves and other such bland, basic cars that just get you around.

Then, on a random ebay search, I came across this little fiat, with a punto 1.2 lump and bigger brakes from a brava/bravo, it looks a bit rough and ready but I went to have a look, pics from advert:

She drove really nicely and I thought why not, at least it is peanuts to insure and run but also a laugh!

Rough spec:

1242cc punto 60 engine
Brava/Bravo brakes
Brava alloys (14s to clear brakes)
Pi lowering springs
Bonnet raisers
Sparco Strut brace

First thing I did once it was home was remove all the stickers, the stupid 'I do own the road' number plate thing, and change the exhaust for a cheeky centre exit...

Oh...and stripped the rear and gave it a wash :)

The black bumper inserts were annoying me - the reason I have always liked the Imola blue Cinquecento is the contrasting orange inserts...

So I knew that had to be adressed!

So Sunday was a day of big work...

Bumpers removed, inserts removed and painted, bumper mounts flapwheeled to remove rust and painted, tow eyes painted, head unit swapped, steering wheel swapped over, exhaust straightened, big cleans, de-wipered the rear, quite productive...was also an epic tinkering day as my mate Charles came down in his viva, Dan is his wrapped starlet, and we worked in the company of 2 citroen XM saloons!

Have some pics...

All we found that needs doing is a split fuel filler neck hose (stinks)

To follow: the results :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:12 pm 
Intermediate

Erm, excuse the weird pic sizing first time I have used this forum!!!

Am really happy with how she came out :)

Plans are:

Sort filler neck out
Poly Bush as much as possible
Seats and harnesses
Shorter shocks

I would like to fit a BMC type carbon intake as the under bonnet temps are massive, but it looks like a real tight squeeze between the engine and ecu and top of gearbox!!! I can see people have done it but how much of a pain is it?

Cheers...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:25 pm 
Website co-ordinator

Drives: Cinquecento and Punto
Welcome to the forum, loving the work you have done to get this Cinquecento back up to scratch 8)

Follow my adventures - http://blog.kevinmace.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:36 pm 
Chief Engineer

Drives: Panda 100hp
Can't fault you for effort, looks in really good nick too!

.....make it idiot proof and someone will build a better idiot.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:03 pm 
Intermediate

Thanks guys! The body has its share of dings and dents but overall seems tidy! Forgot how much fun these are, am still going into bends a gear too low haha!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:59 pm 
Advanced

Drives: owns*Mario
Looks pretty neat! Where abouts are you? And what steering wheel is that? :P

Mario the 1108 Cinquecento Sporting
P677YFR the soon to be 1242 16v Cinquecento Sporting

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:42 am 
Intermediate

Thanks All!

hame41 wrote:
Looks pretty neat! Where abouts are you? And what steering wheel is that? :P

I am down in Bognor regis on the south coast...and the steering wheel is just a 25 quid ebay jobby (search suede dished wheel loads come up but they are all the same haha) but with a nice momo horn push from another wheel in it :)

I am really enjoying my drive to work now! Seems to run really flat until the temp gauge reads about 60, dont know if thats the 1.1 ECU trying to cold fuel the 60 lump or what, but after that she flies! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:43 pm 
Intermediate

Today i fitted a "glovebox" as there is no storage in this thing haha, found some cool orange griptape for the tiny slippery throttle pedal, and the car has the nickname 'frank' as it was advertised as the 'Frankenfiat' so I found a little lego frankenstein for it too!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:19 am 
Intermediate

Quite a bit has happened to little Frank, thought I would do a quick update now to save doing 1 big one...

Just after finishing the tidy up went to my local retro-rides meet to show him off...

Then replaced the split fuel filler neck with this rubber fix kit I got from Poland (unto.pl)

This then made the fuel cap leak, which I also replaced (I guess the tank actually pressurised as it should so the cap was the next weak link)

I was then sitting in traffic and I could still smell fuel, starting to do my head in, so with the engine running I looked under the bonnet and saw a leak from the fuel inlet to the throttle body...the guy before me had used a huge jubilee clip and tightened it up, but when they are too big they seal in a 'D' shape so this was leaking, replaced, finally no leaks!

Not my finest moment but very quickly knocked up some under seat speaker pods from some foam and leftover orange griptape haha, I must wrap them in something black soon, they look awful, but at least I can hear the stereo now (just)

I also had to twist my exhaust clamp round as the prong bits kept digging in the ground, hence the bendy ends!!!

Fitted a CDA type enclosed induction to her, as the original, awful setup the guy had put on involved a filthy, holed cone air filter sitting in the hottest part of the bay, this pic highlights my odd headlamps which is a major pet hate lol...

Then splashed out on a set of magnecor leads, and after some research some NGK BKR7EVX plugs, they have transformed the idle, pickup, and nearly removed the flatspot between 3-4K!

(have had a massive engine bay clean so will save the pics for next update :) )

Then found this in the scrappy!

Had a huge tide mark where it literally looked like it had been pulled from a stream, and the few bits that were left were caked in clay, however I found a black headlamp so I can have a matching pair :)

Made a tool to clean the clay out with...

And it cleaned up OK, also got the worlds filthiest splitter, from a big bumper (90 spec) mk2 golf, which has the perfect curves for the Cinquecento bumper, so that's going on with a bit of fettling!!!

Found a pic of my old Cinquecento too, photo of a photo...

Updates to come with clean 'bay, matching headlamps, splitter and a few other bits :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:34 am 
Chief Engineer

Drives: Panda 100hp
Good progress :)

Brings back some great memories, my first Cinquecento was a silver one. Did 55,000 miles in it!

.....make it idiot proof and someone will build a better idiot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:20 pm 
Intermediate

Cheers, changed the headlamp but there is some bodgery involved due to everything self destructing, I need to find the 2 clips that sit in the front panel and accept the prongs of the headlamp! 1 is barely intact, the other is dust, currently held in with blu-tac blobs lol...

Ah well, matching headlamps and bufty bay!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:11 pm 
Advanced

Drives: Cinquecento sporting(POLLY)
Is there a UK site to get that fuel filler fix kit from as I can't work out that polish site?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:31 pm 
Intermediate

dac69er wrote:
Is there a UK site to get that fuel filler fix kit from as I can't work out that polish site?

I just struggled through with google translate...there are english speaking people there if you e-mail which I fond out way too late!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:13 pm 
Advanced

Drives: owns*Mario
I like this. I like it a lot! Nice to see a project that was a bit rough turned around completely to something looking really smart! Most just get worse and worse till there scrapped/broken! Good Job!

Mario the 1108 Cinquecento Sporting
P677YFR the soon to be 1242 16v Cinquecento Sporting

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:39 am 
Intermediate

hame41 wrote:
I like this. I like it a lot! Nice to see a project that was a bit rough turned around completely to something looking really smart! Most just get worse and worse till there scrapped/broken! Good Job!

Thankyou very much :)

Have just ordered a set of 4 shortened shocks from Germany, will have those and the splitter to fit, and anything I find loose or wiggly on the suspension to replace!

other than that she is nearly done, I am just trying to stockpile spares as they seem to be getting harder and harder to obtain, I phoned fiat yesterday about headlamps, only drivers side available now at £112!