Clubcento

Clubcento - The UK Small Fiats Club

Run by Enthusiasts FOR Enthusiasts

It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Good afternoon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:51 pm 

Drives: Cincquecento
Let me introduce our Cinquecento. its a N reg 95 SX in the pale blue and has been with us for many years now. It's primarily the wife's car, but it gets driven by me and the kids, so gets plenty of abuse which it seems to love! It's our shopping cart, the skip we drive to the recycling centre, the car we can take and park anywhere without a care in the world. It doesn't do many miles in a year as its all very short trips, but in its time its been to the odd music festival, so its seen life beyond the supermarket. Tatty is too mild a description, its got more dings and scrapes than we can now account for, a few bits have fallen off as well!
We went to Italy two years ago, and tried to find a tattier example over there. Well, part from the fact they seem to be very rare there we couldn't find one as tatty, which was rather cool!
But, it starts first time every time, even if left for weeks (battery replaced once, maybe twice now), and every year it passes an MOT with minimal cost, its cheap to insure, even with the kids (now grown up anyway) so we love it... It's a scrappage scheme survivor as we thought about it at the time!
Back in the day my dad always had Fiats, other than he saw them as great value, he worked up from a 500 van thing (name escapes me now), through 127s, Unos and Puntos.
I started off with a 124 special T, then a Mirafiori Sport, brilliant cars, both disintegrated into piles of oxidised steel of course, I then move on to Jap cars...
Anyway, thats us sort of, and I've come over really for advice! What else!! Having now had a puddle of about 2 inches of water in the drivers footwell on two occasions this year its getting a bit of a pain to dry out each time! I'll post elsewhere for help, but currently its a bit of a show stopper that one as I can't find the leak, and I don't think it's the sunroof as nothing below that is wet.!

Post subject: Re: Good afternoon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:47 pm 
Advanced

Drives: Seicento Sporting
hi and welcome. The sunroof drains into the sills, which should drain onto the road. Check the sills drainage holes are clear. I guess the obvious is door seals, so I expect you checked those. What about water that goes in the bonnet, is it draining properly down the wings or is something odd happening?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:02 pm 

The puddle, and it was just that a deep puddle is just in the drivers footwell, seats dry, every other bit of carpet dry and no obvious signs of water running down anywhere. Will check all those you suggest again, it's only happened twice which makes me think its only rain driving from a certain direction that finds the weak spot! There was evidence of water running inside the bonnet and down the inside of the wing sort of behind the battery, I took the battery out a cleared out a load of wet silt from there, so wondered if there was a weak spot in the bulkhead, but nothing obvious. If it was getting in there and then perhaps coming through around the pedals or somesuch then behind the carpet it would make sense but its a lot of water! Several litres, and as there is a hole in the carpet its then all soaked into what's left of the sound proof layer beneath... I will continue the hunt... thank you :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:16 am 
Advanced

brake and clutch stuff goes to the left hand side, but throttle cable comes through there on the right. Maybe a grommet come loose and water travelling down it.

i think i would dry all the battery compartment bit, dust it down, and then sprinkle hose the windscreen lots and see if any runs there. It should run down the side of the wing, so check for a hole under the rubber strip, and if there is a place near the bonnet hinge that lets the water in if lots of water present (maybe build a ridge with epoxy putty/liquid metal?)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:36 am 
Chief Engineer

Drives: Panda 100hp
Hi and welcome. Sound advice above :)

.....make it idiot proof and someone will build a better idiot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:18 pm 
Advanced

just to update, on mine it looks like water is meant to flow onto the metal battery mount (but not into the plastic part) and then out the bottom holes of the metal mount onto the ground, but accelerator cable is directly beneath on mine so if that grommet is compromised it could account for some water.

The other thing I noticed is the slits by the wipers just allow water onto the firewall matting stuff, and also there is a big square hole that the air/fan apparatus slots into, which will also have some kind of water seal which might be compromised.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:20 pm 
Advanced

fixitagaintomorrow wrote:
Hi and welcome. Sound advice above :)

a first time for everything ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:54 am 

thanks for all that, lots to explore... :D

I lifted the carpet and removed the soggy sound proofing from under it expecting to find a mess of rusty steel (and a drain bung!) but no, its perfect under there, Fiat really got the rust proofing right on these cars...