Clubcento

Clubcento - The UK Small Fiats Club

Run by Enthusiasts FOR Enthusiasts

It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Siecento Sporting 1100cc
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:13 am 

Drives: 1
I have a Siecento and the radiator cooling fan doesn't work. Ive managed to crawl under the front and after a struggle pulled the wires to the fan into a position where i could test for continuity of the fan motor and found it was open circuit, one duff motor.. :cry:

I got my hands on the official Fiat workshop manual, and was shocked to find, getting to the fan is a major job, front wheels off, plastic wing liners out, front bumper off etc, a GOOD days work. Is there a short cut i dont know about or am i resigned to switching off the engine in traffic all summer? :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:16 pm 
Intermediate

Drives: Cinquecento s and c
You shouldn't need to take the bumper off But it helps especially if you are new to this car and are unsure where the mounting points are.These cars come apart very easily and you'll have it in bits in about 20 minutes... you can empty the coolant into a basin for reuse by taking off the bottom rad hose and I would whip out the rad with the fan attached to it. Once its out you can take the fan off its carrier and install a new one. TBH I just went to the scrap yard and bought the whole unit second hand which looked crap but I sanded it down and repainted it and it looks fine. it doesn't take much for these fans to become faulty but they are circa 20 years old. A faulty fan motor will blow the fuse and you will overheat the engine fairly quickly. The radiator is very delicate so handle with care and don't touch the aluminium fins at all. The fan switch on the rad leaked on mine so I used a bit of blue gasket sealer on the threads, screwed it in and used a heat gun to dry it off and left it without coolant for two days to harden and it hasn't leaked since.
Wasn't it clever of Fiat to put the exhaust manifold next to the radiator.. not! Have you burned your fingers yet? Seems I can't help but touch things I shouldn't...