Clubcento - The UK Small Fiats Club

Run by Enthusiasts FOR Enthusiasts

It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Draining petrol tank
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:52 pm 
Clubcento Member

Drives: BMW 728/MX5/Seicento
We noticed the fuel economy had dropped very recently and I noticed a slight smell of petrol around the Seicento earlier. It looks fine from the driver's side, but as you can see in the photo the passenger side of the tank is well and truly rotten.

The tank is almost full at the moment but is dripping so I need to empty it. What's the best way to drain the old tank? I wasn't sure whether to disconnect the fuel filter and try to run the pump or whether to syphon from either the fuel pump hole or where the filler neck connects.

Any thoughts from people that have changed tanks previously?

Attachments:
DSC06043.JPG
DSC06043.JPG [ 225.46 KiB | Viewed 732 times ]

Post subject: Re: Draining petrol tank
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:04 pm 
Chief Engineer

Drives: Panda 100hp
When I've done it in the past I've siphoned the majority off through the filler neck first. It left a couple of pints in the tank.

If you force a fuel pump run signal with it running to a bottle that would be ideal and you could get the tank just about dry.

.....make it idiot proof and someone will build a better idiot.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:12 pm 
Clubcento Member

Cheers Pete. I hoped it should be fairly straightforward to syphon from the filler neck. I've got a jiggle syphon hose that I can use. If that doesn't work I'll look at shoring across the fuel pump relay.

I'll have a look tomorrow evening - don't fancy playing about with petrol in the full heat of the sun!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:07 am 
Membership secretary

Drives: Cinquecento Abarth 1242
Last time i drained the fuel tank i connected a battery to the fuel pump and ran a hose into a jerry can.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:42 am 
Clubcento Member

I think I'll end running the fuel pump to get rid of the rest of the petrol from the tank before I remove it.

We managed to drain a good amount from tank by dropping the filler cap and hose down from the car body and draining the petrol through the hole where the tank breather pipe connects. We drained enough off to get the fuel level below the tank seam so it's not dripping petrol any more.

I wanted to have a good look around that area before ordering parts to make sure the filler hose was in good condition anyway, so it was worth doing that way. It's amazing how much dirt collects behind that arch cover though!

I've got a tank ordered from Mick so I'll get it swapped out when it arrives. Fortunately we don't need to use the Sei for a couple of weeks so it's not a big problem. While it's in the air I can do a few other jobs I've been meaning to do for a while too. It hasn't really needed much work other than oil changes (and handbrake adjustments!) since we did the engine swap in 2008 so it's time for a bit of preventative maintenance I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:40 pm 
Clubcento Member

Drives: Seicento, Stilo
I've rigged up an old fuel pump to a couple of lengths of hose, length of wire and bulldog clips. Always ensure you're well ventilated and keep the spark from the clips far, far away!
Takes no time at all though!