Clubcento

Clubcento - The UK Small Fiats Club

Run by Enthusiasts FOR Enthusiasts

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Uneven idle - help
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:22 am 

Drives: Punto
Hoping you can help as I am currently scared/anxious to drive my car and have weekly commutes to both work and university.

I have a 05reg fiat punto active which I have had since approx April. Recently I have had issue after issue, having had the airbags reset and brakes replace. The car seems to run ok once going but the engine feels laboured if I drop speed for example at roundabouts, struggling to pull away. It is also uneven when idle, revs falling very low then jumping up. I have had a look online via google and lots of things flag up, from spark plugs to the ecu. Or I thought perhaps an air/fuel issue. Yesterday the car struggled to start and then stalled repeatedly, I called out the aa, he didn't think it was the ecu, checked for an air leak to no avail and suggested a service to do plugs and leads.

I booked for an interim service (budget restrictions) but asked for plugs and leads to be changed and explained the issue to the garage hoping they'd investigate. They charged a whopping £180 for interim and plugs etc, felt a bit conned as if i'd thught they'd charge me that I would have got a full service which would have been £205. They have given a huge advisory list to include suspension coils, cambelt, radiator, tracking and antiroll bushes which is the best part of £900 in total. Which I can't afford and none of which would be linked to the issue I am experiencing? There were some further issues with the garage due to which I have lost confidence in them (said I needed brake fluid change which they had charged me for on Saturday when they did my brakes and they my tyre got punctured while in the garage).

The main issue is the car is still struggling to start and uneven at idle. Any ideas of what this could be or what to do? Or any garage recommendations in the bucks/beds area? Any advice hugely appreciated.

Scared driver.

Post subject: Re: Uneven idle - help
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:04 am 
Chief Engineer

Drives: Panda 100hp
Sorry to hear of your troubles.

My advice would have been to check for any air leaks on the intake, carry out a full service including changing the oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs and plug leads.

If the issue persisted then without being there to check it you're on to changing parts to see if it helps - I'd have suggested a check or change of ignition coil packs, changing the crank position sensor, carrying out a compression check and seeing what the results were.

Next stop would be checking the throttle body and making sure the idle speed controller was working ok.

In all honesty this sounds like a tricky one to diagnose and repair via a forum.

.....make it idiot proof and someone will build a better idiot.

Post subject: Re: Uneven idle - help
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:15 pm 
Chief Engineer

Drives: Panda 100hp
Thinking on, it could also be an engine temperature sensor fault.

.....make it idiot proof and someone will build a better idiot.