Clubcento

Clubcento - The UK Small Fiats Club

Run by Enthusiasts FOR Enthusiasts

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:16 pm 
Advanced

Is the site going to have a live chat feature... would be very handy I think for all occasions, not just after meets etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:38 pm 
Advanced

Drives: Schuey Sei
If we change forum to one that integrated with the new clubcento.co.uk website then yes, there's one all set up and ready to go. If we keep with this one then no as it doesn't fit in well with the new site without being a bit buggy. Having two seperate logins would be a pain in the arse for both the end user and the admin team to maintain.

The suggestion has been passed onto the comittee about changing forum, but as the club has now had 3 different forums in as many years it has been decided to keep this one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:24 pm 
Advanced

OK dokey :D Thanks for the reply anyway!

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:22 pm 
Advanced

Drives: 2001 Sei Sporting
If the website and the forum are hosted on the same server it could be trivial to use the forum's db for user auth (if the ain't there could be some latency issues), however not for single sign on as both sites are on diff domains so sessions and cookies are not valid for the other site. i could give a hand if needed.

65 20 62 6f 75 6e 63 65 64 20 6f 66 66 20 74 68 65 20
62 6f 6e 6e 65 74 20 6f 66 20 6d 79 20 63 61 72 2e 20

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:01 pm 
Advanced

Drives: Schuey Sei
Thanks for the offer. The forum will be transferred over to the same domain early january mainly to cut down on hosting costs, but I'll not be linking up the site with the forum. I've linked up phpbb forums and joomla site before and I'm not too happy with the way they work together.

Post subject: Re: Chat room?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:27 pm 
Intermediate

Drives: sei-chunky sporting
I can host a chat room if u like, i host my own domain (benfell.com) and (clan.se) and a couple of local businessess too.
It wouldnt be difficult to integrate a chat channel with this forum. BUT im no web designer :D
Have a look at this url and click on the link -->
http://clan.se/chat.html

I think it would be very cool to have a clubcento chat room where people can just pop in and ask questions, say hello, plan and organise, exchange info, and frequently the info is of common interest to many people. e.g. the latest meetings minutes, club events, club news and such like can be presented in the header for all who enter to see.
As for teamspeak, username's and passwords can be used to authenticate people and you would be surprised how simple it is to organise a "group" meeting. You dont need MSN and you dont need to pass out any MSN contact details. I never use msn as when it first came out it was full of holes !

I am an "op" on an IRC channel for an online game called counterstrike [a halflife mod] on quakenet channel #clan_se. We used to play counterstrike as a clan but now we just chat about films and stuff. There are several nationalities in the channel. Anyone with an irc client (miranda, Mirc, . . many others) can join and say hello, in the case of the above link - a linked icon can be placed on the forum and people can try it out. We monitor the channel scrupulously, we are all friends and we keep a healthy and polite chat policy. No-one will ask you your address, however they might ask your country. :)
Socially speaking :IRC must be policed by relaxed and mature, and trusted persons otherwise it can beak down just like any forum :) It would be easy for administrators and trusted members to police. All you need to do to be as convinced as i am that this would work very well is to pop in to our clan channel, you are most welcome to have a look and stay for a chat. My username is seprim 8)

Technically speaking : there is always a few seconds lag between text entries on a chat server so that wont make any difference. Also not everyone is at thier keyboard 24/7, and people invariably type letters and such like so they wont be looking at the chat screen at all times, but its not bad once you get the hang of it :P

Summary : chat channel = typing (+info sharing), Teamspeak = voice (need mic and earphones/speakers)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:08 pm 
Advanced

Drives: Cinquecento x2 & Bravo
i can't see a chat room being used or useful to be honest but i hate msn and live webchat things so i am probably not 'target market' for such a feature

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:50 pm 
Advanced

Drives: Cinquecento
Il Presidente wrote:
i can't see a chat room being used or useful to be honest

Yeah that

But i do use msn and whats wrong with the good old PM's??